Adoption and School: Resources for Parents and Educators
These school resources about adoption include background information for educators on both international and domestic adoption, as well as ideas for adapting family-focused assignments. They also include guidance for parents and children about how to communicate with teachers, classmates, and fellow parents about adoption.
Image: Lucy's Family Tree by Karen Halvorsen Schreck.
Adoption Resources for Educators
What Educators Need to Know About Adoption
- Internationally Adopted Children: Information for Parents and Educators (National Association for School Psychologists)
- Books About International Adoption by Country (Tapestry Press)
- Adoption Basics for Educators: How Adoption Impacts Children & How Educators Can Help (Iowa Foster and Adoptive Parents Association)
- Information for School Personnel/Educators on Adoption (Concerned Persons for Adoption)
- Adoption Information in Spanish (AdoptUSKids.org)
Family Assignments: Including Diverse Families
- Out of the Shadows (Teaching Tolerance)
- Making Schools and School Assignments More Adoption-Friendly (Adoption Advocate)
- Lucy's Family Tree by Karen Halvorsen Schreck (Tilbury House Publishers)