American Indian/Alaska Native Heritage
Colorín Colorado is pleased to offer a series of booklists for children and young adults focused on the heritage, history, and contemporary communities of American Indians and First Nations Peoples.
Many of these books are written by Native authors and will make engaging read-alouds; others will be invaluable additions to History and Social Studies lessons. We encourage educators and librarians to look for opportunities to include these stories throughout the year and across the curriculum.
- A Changing World
- Biographies & Tales of Courage
- Code Talkers: Books for All Ages
- Native Trailblazers Series
- Remarkable Girls & Women
- Far from Home: Residential Schools
- Horse Stories
- Art and Artists
- Favorite Foods
- Festivals and Celebrations
- Music & Dance
- Nature's Gifts
- Seasons and Cycles
- Summer Stories
- Traditional Ways of Life
- Christmas: A Native American Perspective
For books for older readers, see our American Indian/Alaska Native booklists for young adults, covering a wide range of genres and time periods.
- Oyate Website. Catalog selections grades 7-12.
- Reese, Debbie. American Indians in Children's Literature.