- 8 Strategies for Preschool ELLs' Language and Literacy Development
- ELLs in Early Childhood Education: Recruiting Immigrant Families
- Early Literacy Instruction in Dual Language Preschools (Spanish/English)
- Reading in Kindergarten
- Early Literacy Instruction in Spanish: Teaching the Beginning Reader
- Meeting the CCSS Needs of Young Dual Language Learners
- Common Core Ideas: Using Read-Alouds with English Language Learners
Books and Booklists
Research and Reports
Peep and the Big Wide World: Bilingual Activities & STEM Curriculum
Public television producer WGBH has launched a bilingual website and preschool curriculum based on Peep and the Big Wide World, the Award-winning STEM series for 3-5 year olds following a newly hatched chicken named Peep and his friends Chirp and Quack (a robin and a duck) on their daily adventures. Each half-hour episode contains two stories which highlight specific science concepts, plus two live-action shorts presenting real kids playing and experimenting with these concepts in their own big wide worlds.
The accompanying site includes bilingual games, videos, apps, a 6-unit STEM curriculum, professional development video modules for early childhood educators, and science resources and activity ideas for families. The website is also available in Spanish.
This toolkit from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the U.S. Department of Education provides resources that can be used to support young children who are learning their home languages and English. It is divided into three sections 1) administrators and managers; 2) teachers, caregivers, and family services staff; and 3) families